Thursday, September 6, 2018

But Protein Tho





What is it about veganism that inspires people to be suddenly worried about my protein intake?  In my pre-vegan days, if I only felt like eating an apple for breakfast, no one ever said “Hey, what about protein at this meal.?”  And I can guarantee if I saw one of my non-vegan friends having an apple I never said, “Hey, what about some protein with that apple?”

This is a perpetual annoyance for all vegans - it’s right up there with people insisting that milk is not cruel or eggs from free-run hens are ok eggs.

It isn’t hard to get all the protein that one needs in a day.  

Here is a typical day

Tea - I have several cups of tea in a day, probably too many, if such a thing is possible.  I use at least a cup of soy milk during the day in tea, at 9 grams per cup.

Breakfast




This morning I had over-night oatmeal for breakfast.

1 cup of soy milk = 9 grams of protein
1/2 cup of oatmeal = 5 grams of protein
10 almonds.   = 3 grams of protein 
1 tablespoon of dried cranberries = negligible protein
Total protein for breakfast = 17 grams.
Lunch

For lunch I had a sandwich made with whole wheat bread and Yves vegan turkey slices (not made from a real turkey)




Two slices of whole wheat bread =.  7 grams of protein
Five slices of Yves vegan turkey = 10 grams of protein
Two slices of Chao cheese.     = 0 protein
1tablespoon of Just Mayo. = negligible protein
1 banana.    = 1.1 grams of protein
Total protein for lunch. 18 grams of protein



Dinner
I had a delightful tofu scramble for dinner.



One red pepper, chopped = 2 grams of protein
Half an onion, chopped.    = .5 grams of protein
Tofu 175 grams   = 30 grams of protein
Spices = 0 grams of protein.
Total protein for dinner 32.5 grams


So my total of protein for the day is 76.5 grams (when you include the soy milk for my tea)  which is above the daily recommended requirement for a woman my age.  

2 comments:

  1. It is amazing how finding out you are vegan suddenly makes people a nutrition expert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the late reply! It is amazing indeed. And even more amazing that they never question the short-comings ofntheir own diets.

    ReplyDelete

Winter Warmer-upper

This is an update of a post that was originally written in 2014. This is one of my go-to winter soups. I had some squash in my freezer lef...