Thursday, September 20, 2018

Neat Loaf



For this recipe I just used my mum’s old meat loaf recipe from my childhood and I substituted meat and eggs and milk with vegan versions.

The first time I made this was for this challenge on mofo2018 and I was very pleased with how it turned out.

1 lb of ground vegan meat - I recently used beyond meat
1 pkg of gimme lean sausage - or beyond meat sausage
Egg equivalent to the amount of one egg
2 cups bread crumbs
1 1/3 cups non-dairy milk - I used soy milk
2 medium onions chopped medium finely - not super fine, nor minced
1 carrot peeled and diced
1 rib of celery sliced lengthwise and chopped
Pinch of salt
1/2 tsp black pepper or more to taste*
1/2 tsp dried mustard or more to taste- I used Keens hot mustard*
1/8 tsp sage or more to taste*

* spices and flavourings are highly dependent on personal tastes - I like a lot more pepper, mustard, and a bit more sage than listed above but I appreciate not everyone will share my views, so I went with minimum amounts. 

Mix all the ingredients together so that they are well blended.  I put on disposable rubber gloves and mixed with my hands. You might wish to do the same.

Some people have told me they like to brush a little ketchup on the top before baking 

Press it all into a prepared loaf pan. Put the loaf pan on a baking sheet (in case of a spill-over - I learned this the hard way) and put it in the oven and cook for 1 1/2 hours (90 mins)



2 comments:

  1. It's been a while since I've made a vegan meatloaf; yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks it was the first time I’ve ever made one using vegan meats. Usually I use lentils and rice. Im pleased with how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete

Winter Warmer-upper

This is an update of a post that was originally written in 2014. This is one of my go-to winter soups. I had some squash in my freezer lef...