Thursday, August 1, 2019

Vegan Mofo 2019 - Day One

I have been an ethical vegan for over ten years and was a vegetarian for many years before that. 

I became a vegan when I had an epiphany about the reality of the dairy and egg industries.  It’s hard to explain but I feel a deep sorrow for all the years when I wasn’t a vegan, for all the harm I paid others to do to animals so I could eat them.  I’m not sure that there is any expiation for my years of selfish eating. 

Like many people, I loved dogs and cats and horses, despised the exploitation of animals in circuses and marine parks and rodeos, but spared no thought for food animals. From time to time I would read about a traffic accident involving animal transport and I always rooted for the animals who managed to escape, but other than that I spared them no thought. Now I think about exploited animals almost constantly. 

I have three rescue cats and I’m feeding three stray cats in my back yard.  These are the shelters we have for them.  Each shelter has one inch of insulation on all six sides. When filled with straw and placed under the deck, close to the house, they are as cosy as possible in a harsh Canadian winter.





My biggest sadness right now, other than the continued horrors of the animals-for-food industry, is the utter refusal of everyone else in my very large family (except for three people, one of whom has been vegan since birth), who just don’t care about animals or the horrors they face in their very short and tormented lives.  This both saddens and angers me. 

8 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about the guilt you feel for your none vegan years. This is one of the main reasons that when I have a child they will be raised vegan until they can choose. I was forced to take part in animal cruelty and exploitation because I had a "normal" diet!

    Anyway, nice to meet you and happy vegan mofo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just having a conversation the other day about how sometimes it just takes longer for the connection to be made and we have to be kind to ourselves and not feel the guilt of our pre vegan days. Thank you for what you do to keep the kitties safe and fed <3 Happy MoFo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve managed to get two strays into the house where they are now safe and warm! Thanks for your kind reply.

      Delete
  3. Happy MoFo! That's so wonderful that you feed and provide winter shelters to stray cats! It's tough when people (especially family) refuse to see what seems so obvious to us as vegans; I'm glad you have a few family members who care for animals like you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very tough when people just don’t get it.

      I appreciate your kind comment.

      Delete
  4. My family doesn't get it, either. I'm glad to find community that understands where I can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That’s a good point. And I do find support here.

    ReplyDelete

Winter Warmer-upper

This is an update of a post that was originally written in 2014. This is one of my go-to winter soups. I had some squash in my freezer lef...