Sunday, September 9, 2018

Creamy Without Nuts

I have a former colleague - we are both retired now - who can’t eat nuts due to allergies.  



Today I have made her a banana cream pie, with a nary a nut to be seen.   Banana cream pie was always my dad’s favourite pie and my mum used to make it all the time.  I wasn’t that fond of it when I was a child because I couldn’t stand the texture of the bananas in the pie.  I’m not sure what I was thinking then, because I am rather fond of this pie now.  And even more so since I learned that there is such a thing as vegan custard.

I used Bird’s custard powder, a British product that is readily available in stores here in Toronto.  



Bird’s custard powder is vegan - there are no powdered eggs or milk in it at all.  The recipe is foolproof really: just custard powder sugar and soy milk or any other non dairy milk.  You just heat it to boiling and then enjoy it hot or cold.  It is very nice drizzled over Christmas cake or any steamed pudding, and you could also sandwich it between cookies to make custard cream cookies. It could be used to make a vegan crème brûlée And it is great in a pie.

I sliced two bananas into a ready made graham cracker crust that had been baked for five minutes to harden up the crust a bit, then poured the slightly cooled custard into it and let it cool until the point where it could be put into the fridge.

About an hour or so later it was nicely set and we enjoyed it with tea.  




My colleague likes hers with a bit of whipped coconut cream on it.




I prefer mine plain.


1 comment:

  1. What a lovely idea! We used to have a bowl of custard with sliced banana for dessert when we were kids, so this seems very nostalgic to me!

    ReplyDelete

Winter Warmer-upper

This is an update of a post that was originally written in 2014. This is one of my go-to winter soups. I had some squash in my freezer lef...