Thursday, September 13, 2018

Spicy Without Chilies - Curried Tofu Bowl









I am one of those people with sensitive skin who can’t even touch chilies, let alone eat them.  I get welts on my hands if I handle them so I almost never use them in anything I’m cooking.  I have a neighbour who can eat them raw, and it makes me cry to watch!

This is a quick and easy curry and is perfect for cool winter nights.  It freezes well so it could also be used as leftover lunch. And there isn’t a chili pepper in sight!! I adapted this recipe From the Jane Brody Good Food Cookbook. 


Ingredients

1 large onion, chopped into medium-sized pieces
2 ribs of celery, chopped into medium sized pieces
2 cloves of garlic chopped finely

1 350 gr package of extra firm tofu, drained, rinsed and pressed, chopped into cubes.

2 tablespoons of curry powder - or more to taste- I used the Simply Organic brand of commercial curry powder that does not contain chilies.

2 apples cut into medium sized dice
1 large banana cut into dice

3 tbs tomato paste
2 cups of veggie broth
I head of broccoli 

Optional - I can of coconut milk - not the full fat kind


Cook the onion and celery and garlic with a little vegetable oil in a frying pan.

When they have cooked, add the tofu cubes, and the curry powder, the apple and the banana and stir them around for a few minutes.

Then add the tomato paste and the veggie broth and simmer for about five minutes.

In the meantime, steam a head of broccoli which has been cut into florets and when they have turned a bright green, stir them into the frying pan.

Serve with rice

Serves four


No comments:

Post a Comment

Winter Warmer-upper

This is an update of a post that was originally written in 2014. This is one of my go-to winter soups. I had some squash in my freezer lef...