Thursday, September 13, 2018

No-Packaging Snacks




This is a nice home-made snack that you could easily wrap in waxed paper and take a long with you on a hike or a plane trip.

Ingredients




1 1/2 cups of rolled oats - I used gluten free because I had them on hand but you could use any kind
1 cup of all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
1/4 cup chopped dried cranberries
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons shelled sunflower seeds
Pinch of salt




I cup packed golden yellow sugar
1/2 cup of maple syrup or agave syrup 
1/2 cup of nut butter - peanut butter or almond butter or cashew butter etc
1/4 cup light vegetable oil - I used canola oil
Egg replacer to the equivalent of 2 eggs



Mix the rolled oats, flour, baking soda, apricots, cranberries, chocolate chips, walnuts, sunflower seeds and salt in a large bowl.

Mix the golden yellow sugar, the syrup the nut butter, the vegetable oil and the egg replacer with a hand mixer or stand mixer, then pour in the dry ingredients and mix until well blended.

Prepare an 8 x 11 pan - I used cooking spray, and pack in the mixture, flatten it and then put the pan in the oven for 30 minutes.

When the pan has cooled cut the mixture into bars.  Store them in an airtight container in the fridge.  


You can wrap them and take them along on car trips etc.



3 comments:

  1. I love any kind of oaty snack like this - they tend to keep me full for ages, and there are so many little twists on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I usually add coconut too but for some reason I left it out. Must have been the heat! I’m making some to take to my bridge game on Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  3. container and packaging supply I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post.

    ReplyDelete

Winter Warmer-upper

This is an update of a post that was originally written in 2014. This is one of my go-to winter soups. I had some squash in my freezer lef...