Friday, August 2, 2019

Where the Magic Happens - Vegan Mofo 2019 Day Two

My house is actually quite small by Canadian standards, and therefore it has a small kitchen.  Built in 1955, it is a bungalow of only 850 square feet in size. 

This is the kitchen looking out the french doors towards the dining room.  Behind where I was standing to take the picture, is a small kitchen table.



I have an electric stove and oven and they work just fine for my purposes.  I know there are people who swear by gas ranges, but I am happy with what I have.  I like the ceramic cooktop because if something boils over, I don’t have to worry about food getting on the burners.  My last stove had regular burners and I spent way too much time scrubbing cooked-on food out of the burner pots. 

Here are my hard working helpers.

Some good knives.  I have had these for 37 years.





The blender and the food processor.  The blender was a gift from my over-the-back-fence neighbour and the food processor was a gift from my sister. 




This is my kitchenaid stand mixer.  I haven’t used my hand mixer since I added this to my kitchen.



This is my immersion blender.  It’s very handy and small enough to take to the cottage at weekends, when we go. The immersion blender is great for purée-ing soup and making smoothies.  It was a gift from my other sister. 






I have a mandoline, but I’m actually a little afraid of it, so I don’t use it.  

Here is an apron.  I’m kind of naturally messy, so the apron saves me from myself.




Finally, no kitchen would be complete without a helper. This is Kiki, one of my rescue cats.  He’s a polydactyl and looks like he has thumbs.  He can easily open cupboards.  Here he is in the cat food cupboard, wondering if I can get the hint.  







6 comments:

  1. I love your kitchen and I'm so jealous of all of the wonderful appliances! OMG Kiki is too precious! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Im lucky to have generous friends and relatives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so impressed you have had those knives for so long! How do you sharpen them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m sorry it has taken me so long to reply. My neighbour hired a professional knife sharpener and he came to her house with his workshop-in-a-truck and he sharpened the knives of several neighbours. There was a minimum number of knives necessary before he would agree to come over. I had these two plus two smaller knives sharpened. I should really have them done again. I use them frequently, if not daily. Thanks for posting a question - I appreciate it!

      Delete
  4. Your kitchen looks so nice and bright, and oh my goodness, Kiki is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Julie! Kiki is a rescue. We acquired him from a shelter after his previous people didn’t want him anymore. He’s a fabulous cat.

    ReplyDelete

Winter Warmer-upper

This is an update of a post that was originally written in 2014. This is one of my go-to winter soups. I had some squash in my freezer lef...