Saturday, May 31, 2014

Leslie's Mincemeat Cake

Today is my sister-in-law's birthday, and my DH's family is coming over for a BBQ.  As well as burgers, I've made vegan potato salad, and an interesting salad with corn, black beans and hearts of palm.  My SIL is bringing a green salad.

In honour of my SIL's birthday, I thought I would make a cake.  My favourite cake right now is my sister Leslie's mincemeat cake.  She's an inventor in the kitchen, my sister, and one day she decided to put half a jar of vegan mincemeat into a cake she was making.  What a fabulous inspiration! Her recipe appears below, and below that, the adaptations that I made to make a gluten-free version that would be suitable for my niece and my MIL.

Leslie's Mincemeat cake

Dry ingredients
2.5 cups flour
1.5 cups sugar
.5 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1.5 baking powder

Wet ingredients
2 cups soy milk with 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar -set aside to curdle
2/3 cup of oil
2 tsp vanilla

Half a jar of mincemeat

Preheat oven to 350. This makes a bundt cake or a two layers or a 16x9

Mix dry ingredients together til all mixed up.

Add all wet ingredients and the mincemeat and beat for about a minute or two

Pour into prepared pan or pans and bake for 25-35 minutes.


Gluten Free Version

I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten-free all-purpose flour.  I didn't know that xanthan gum or guar gum was needed, and I was worried about the thinness of the batter, so I added another 3/4 cup of the gluten free flour.  I had to cook the cakes (I used two 8" square pans) for an extra 15 minutes.

The cake came out fine!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Winter Warmer-upper

This is an update of a post that was originally written in 2014. This is one of my go-to winter soups. I had some squash in my freezer lef...