Sunday, May 4, 2014

A Smoothie to Anticipate Summer

I have been suffering (and believe me, that's the operative word) with vertigo since Monday of last week.  That's a whole week of having the room spin if I turn my head the wrong way.  I've been cooped up inside our house because I can't really walk without holding on to something, and sure can't drive.   Yesterday I went for a pedi with my sister Linda.  Brought along my own vegan nail polish, but as it turns out, my esthetician uses China Glaze, and that's a line of vegan nail polishes.

It's really sunny out today, but a bit cold and windy for all that it's the beginning of may.   The sun made me feel like having a smoothie, even though I'm sitting in my house wearing long pants, a tee shirt and a fleece jacket.

There is no end to the variety of smoothies that can be made, as you well know.   There are even smoothies-only cookbooks available on the market, and I've read a number of those.  This is my go-to favourite smoothie recipe which my DH and I have developed and refined over a number of years.

Lisa's Best Smoothie Recipe

The Base:
  • one frozen banana (make sure you always have two or three frozen bananas, already cut into chunks, in sandwich bags in your freezer)
  • 1 cup of fresh strawberries, cut into chunks (frozen works well too)
  • I cup of fresh mango, cut into chunks (frozen works well too)

Once you have this base, you can add any number of different liquids to the fruit to round out your smoothie.
  • orange juice
  • coconut water
  • coconut milk
  • soy milk
  • almond milk
Extras:
From time to time you may wish to add some veggies to your smoothie, but you really need a high-speed blender to liquify them.
  • spinach leaves
  • chopped kale
  • grated ginger
Finally, if you want your smoothie to be a whole meal, all you need to do is add a quarter cup of silken tofu to the blender.  Tofu is tasteless, so you would never know it was there.   This makes your smoothie even thicker than it would be on its own, and has the added advantage of adding a full serving of protein.  This would make a great breakfast-on-the-go!  Just a warning, though, you will need a sturdy straw to use to drink it.
  • silken tofu  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Winter Warmer-upper

This is an update of a post that was originally written in 2014. This is one of my go-to winter soups. I had some squash in my freezer lef...