Thursday, September 20, 2018

Four for $4

This was not an easy challenge.  Food isn’t cheap in my city.

After a lot of calculating, I settled on corn on the cob and tomato soup with crackers.



The soup was 2 for $1 and that was enough for 4 people
The corn was purchased at a roadside farm stand at $8.00 for a dozen or 67cents each, so that was $2.68
That left 32 cents for crackers, and that’s 16 crackers or four crackers per person.  

It comes to $4 exactly.

I could likely have put leftover meatloaf into the soup as well and I would have counted the meatloaf as free considering it is still sitting in my fridge.


4 comments:

  1. I think you did really well for this challenge! Food isn't cheap where I live, either. I love fresh corn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had been thinking about this challenge since the beginning of mofo and wondering what I would do.

      Delete
  2. Great ideas for cheap meals, even if it wasn't easy. Corn on the cob was a great choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had originally been thinking of some type of hearty sandwich or soup and a less hearty sandwich and then I happened across the farm stand on my way into Toronto from the east. Lucky for me corn is relatively cheap at this time of year.

      Delete

Winter Warmer-upper

This is an update of a post that was originally written in 2014. This is one of my go-to winter soups. I had some squash in my freezer lef...