Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Spicy Hummus

Note: This recipe was donated by my sister Linda.

This hummus recipe is the easiest I know of and includes ingredients found in almost every pantry. I cheat a bit with canned chickpeas and ready-chopped garlic, but it makes for a fast and easy dip or sandwich spread with no preservatives like the store-bought kinds.

I take this for lunch in a wrap with crunchy veg - red and green peppers, red onions, celery, or whatever is on hand.

Today I added something special (and not shown with the basic ingredients here)....Akabanga Chili Oil. My sister and I were in Rwanda in July, and we saw tiny bottles of this sauce on every table in every restaurant we visited, so of course we had to buy some before we came home. It's pretty potent and a drop is all you need. Really.   If you like it HOT enough to make your nose run add two drops. If you want smoke to come out of your ears....3 drops. Serious stuff. One drop in two cups of hummus is enough to give this a kick. But if you are sharing with kids, I'd recommend leaving it out. It's still a great basic hummus.

Prep time for this dip is about 10 minutes.

2 cups of rinsed , ready-to-eat chickpeas
2 tbsps tahini
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 clove chopped garlic
Salt to taste (I used Himalayan Pink Sea Salt)
1/2 cup water or as needed
1 drop Chili oil (or any spice you want a kick)

Add all ingredients except the water to a food processor . Using the S-blade, process until smooth. Scrape down the sides, and if needed, add a thin stream of water while the processor is running until you get the consistency you like. Turn the finished hummus into a container. Cover and refrigerate.

Keeps well in the fridge for about a week .

Yield - 2 cups

No comments:

Post a Comment

Winter Warmer-upper

This is an update of a post that was originally written in 2014. This is one of my go-to winter soups. I had some squash in my freezer lef...