Saturday, September 6, 2014

Apple Carrot Cranberry Ginger Cookies

I couldn't decide what to call these cookies, so in the end I went with Apple Carrot Cranberry Ginger Cookies.  It's a little bulky, but it accurately describes what is in these very tasty treats.  I adapted the recipe from one I originally saw in John Robbin's book May All Be Fed: Diet for a New World.

I had a bottle of ginger syrup that I bought at my local health food store and I wanted to use it.  It's a little strong for pancakes and waffles, and had been sitting in my pantry for a few months.  Time to use it up!

Here is the recipe:

Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F.

Liquid Ingredients
1/2 Cup of unsweetened apple sauce
1 Cup of ginger syrup (but you could use agave or maple syrup)
1/2 Cup of canola oil
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Dry Ingredients
2 Cups of all-purpose flour
2 Cups of rolled oats
1/4 cup of hemp hearts
2 tsps of baking powder
1 tsp of baking soda
1 pinch of salt

Add-Ins
1 Cup of grated carrots
1 tbs of grated fresh ginger
1 Cup of dried cranberries (you could use raisins, chopped dates, currants, or dried cherries)


 Here are the carrots getting ready to be grated.  I used a simple hand grater, and then laid on the elbow grease.  You could also put the shredding attachment on your food processor and grate the carrots that way.  It would certainly be faster and would take less work.


 This is not a difficult batter to mix.  Some cookie batters are kind of stiff and hard to stir.  This batter is actually much more liquidish than you would be expecting.  Don't worry - the cookies firm up in the oven.



Directions
1.  Stir dry ingredients together.
2.  Whisk wet ingredients together.
3.   Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and also add the grated carrot and ginger.   Mix together.
4.   Add the driedcranberries

Place by rounded tablespoons onto a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet and cook for 15 minutes.


Here are the cookies before baking...


... and here they are, nicely golden, fresh from the oven!

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Winter Warmer-upper

This is an update of a post that was originally written in 2014. This is one of my go-to winter soups. I had some squash in my freezer lef...