Saturday, November 5, 2016

A Vegan Vacation

I have just returned to Canada from a fantastic all-vegan river cruise, and i can fairly say that it was the best vacation of my life.  Everything on the ship was vegan, from the wine to the snacks to all the breakfast, lunches and dinners.  Furthermore, I found out after the cruise that the cruise company which had chartered the riverboat also replaced all of the cruise boat's down bedding with vegan bedding - so it was vegan right down to the blankets and pillows. The room came with a mini-fridge that was re-stocked daily with drinks, and there were cookies and other treats left for us every day.


The cabin on the cruise.


Some wine and cookies!


More snacks!!!


I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I can say that when i spend money to go on a cruise, I don't want to have to pick my way through the buffet offerings to see what I can eat, nor do I wish to subsidize other people's meat dinners, which is what my dollars would do on a regular cruise.  Finally, I don't ever wish to sit near another table and listen to people rhapsodize over the tastiness of the meat on their plate, meat that they must know was obtained cruelly.

All meals were totally relaxed and enjoyable, even more so because there was no need to scrutinize the menu and ask the waiters about ingredients.  How many times have you gone on vacation as a vegan and had to hope against hope that a friendly chef would be willing to make something special for you, or had to hope that perhaps there was a veggie burger standing by in the freezer? That was not an issue here.


A kebab dinner.


Lime mousse with a chocolate wedge for dessert!



A vegan chef supervised all of the meal prep, and the meals were fantastic. The trip was amazing from beginning to end, and I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in a vegan vacation.  I will definitely be taking another vegan cruise with this company in the future.  Check it out: http://veganrivercruises.com

2 comments:

  1. That sounds fantastic! It's so much easier to travel when you don't have to worry about what you can or can't order. Definite peace of mind there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It was fantastic, and it was such a relief to not have to search labels. If i had ever had to write a book about other vacations taken with non-vegans, the title of the book might have been "Maybe The Restaurant Will Have A Veggie Burger For You." I'm sure you know what that's all about!!!

    ReplyDelete

Winter Warmer-upper

This is an update of a post that was originally written in 2014. This is one of my go-to winter soups. I had some squash in my freezer lef...