Sunday, December 28, 2014

Sausage Rolls

This is an update of a post that I originally made in September.  I am updating it because I can now add photos (which I could not do on the day of the original post) and also, I have found a vegan puff pastry that is pre-rolled, which is a collossal time-saver.



Imagine my delight when I discovered that tenderflake makes vegan puff pastry. I can buy it in my local Loblaws. I use it for making crusts on fruit pies and on savoury casseroles.

One of my favourite uses for puff pastry is for making sausage rolls. My Mum used to make them when I was young, and they were something I missed when I became a vegetarian and then a vegan.

With this puff pastry, I am happy to say I am again enjoying sausage rolls. Even if pre-rolled puff pastry is unavailable I have a good rolling pin and pretty good rolling technique so I don't mind rolling it out myself.

These little gems make a great appetizer but they can also be part of a dinner along with a nice savoury vegetable. I also like them cold the next day for lunch!

 Sausage rolls

Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees

1 package vegan puff pastry (either pre-rolled, or roll-your-own!)


1 package of the vegan sausages of your choice - I use Field Roast Apple Sage sausages - they're fantastic.



finally, you will need some dijon mustard

Directions

 1. Thaw your puff pastry for at least eight hours in the fridge, or overnight in the fridge

 2. Thaw the sausages until they can be handled without freezing your hands off, then take them out of the plastic sheath that they come packed in.

 3. Gently cook the sausages in a frying pan or in the oven until they are about half done, then set them aside to cool.

 4. Sprinkle some flour on your rolling surface and place one block of the puff pastry on the surface and roll out the dough until it is about 12 inches square, or unwrap your pre-rolled puff pastry and unroll it on your work surface.  I use a silicon rolling mat to work on.  It's very handy, cleans easily, and is a good size.



 5. Place two sausages at the far side of your square of rolled-out dough.

 6. Spread a line of the mustard along the top side of the sausages, then roll the sausages and the dough towards you. Make sure you roll the sausages so that the dough goes around them at least one and half times.



7. Cut the roll of sausage and dough into one inch pieces and place on a parchment covered cookie sheet.



 8. Lightly brush the tops of the sausage rolls with soy milk or other non-dairy milk. This will help the sausage rolls develop a nice brown top.

 9. Repeat with the other two sausages.

 10. Cook for about 18 minutes but check for brown-ness at the 15 minute mark.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Winter Warmer-upper

This is an update of a post that was originally written in 2014. This is one of my go-to winter soups. I had some squash in my freezer lef...